Search This Blog

Total Pageviews

Tuesday 31 March 2009

An offer and an entry to Limboland

I am sitting at my voluntary placement with a mouthful of chicken sandwich when someone hands me my mobile and says that the person who interviewed me for a job wishes to speak to me right now. "How are you?" says Louise, the potential line manager. "Eating!" I say in a totally unprofessional manner. And then loyal readers, she says they want to offer me the job! Got into shaky excitement mode and give more inane babblings but they got me a job offer so hey, maybe I should give in to them more often. After the call, I do a sort of tango like dance up and down the corridor leading people to wonder what I am on.
The good news is tempered by the fact that the last time I had such an offer, my former boss gave a bland reference and the offer was withdrawn. So I am in Limboland not knowing what the next few weeks holds. Will he be decent this time? To put things into context, I returned to my role with him two weeks after having a Caesarean birth! Apparently, that and my successful project leadership was not good enough to merit a good reference!
My voluntary placement provider is promising to "wax lyrical" about me so I am hoping that will help but I remain nervous of what the former boss will do.
Then I am reminded of the difficulty of balancing parenting and anything else as I rediscover the costs and inflexibility of childcare providers.
For now, break open the champagne and hope for the best

3 comments:

  1. Hello!
    Very best with the job and the juggling, enjoy the champagne,
    Megan

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have an ex boss that is basically an absolute pig and gives anyone that leaves a bad reference on purpose just to be nasty. When they threaten to sue him for it, he just says go on then.

    So I now give other previous employers as references and if they ask about that particular job I just say that the person I worked directly for has now left and I don't know where they are and anybody that is there now wouldn't know me or my work.

    I know it's technically lying but I've managed to avoid this nasty ex boss ever being called upon and all my other employers have given me glowing reports.

    ReplyDelete