Search This Blog

Total Pageviews

Tuesday 3 March 2009

Volunteering and a return to sanity

Today, I actually entered a real working environment for the first time in over two years. I think I had got myself into a mindset that I would never do this again so today is a huge cause for celebration.
My volunteering currently involves looking into the needs of ex-service personnnel and their families who find themselves homeless. I find myself researching, networking and promoting - all things I love to do.
My boss seems to think I am worth listening to which is a huge shock as I have three children who never want to listen to me!
My colleagues are pleasant with me and make me coffees!
It is so energising to set targets and then to reach or exceed them. No bigger thrill in my particular world.
I have now returned to the school run, the toast-making, the refereeing that makes up modern day motherhood. Ah, but now I know there is another life and I will be back living it tomorrow.
I am a volunteer. I exist. I am contributing. I am worthwhile.
Do you volunteer? What do you do and what do you get out of it?

No comments:

Post a Comment