Search This Blog

Total Pageviews

Friday 19 November 2010

Hasbro's Boggle Flash - the 21st century version of the well-known word game

Are you a parent who would like to ensure that when your children are playing they are also learning? If so, I would like to recommend Boggle Flash.

A 21st century take on Boggle, Boggle Flash appeals to children who enjoy electronics and who like to play with letters and words.

I tested Boggle Flash on my three children. It was a little advanced for my 4 year old who has only just started school. Fair enough, as the makers say it is ideal for ages 8 plus. However, both my 9 year old and 6 year old loved making words from their letter selections. As a mum, I like to see them have fun but I was also delighted to see them improving their literacy at the same time.

It is a good challenge for adults too. The object of the game is to make as many three, four or five letter words from the five interactive tiles within the 60 second time limit. Smartlink Technology allows the five tiles to talk to each other – they will light up and beep when three or more letters are lined up to make a word. The game also keeps time and records scores.

Boggle Flash has three game modes

1. Find as many letters from the five tiles as possible within 60 seconds
2. Find five letter words using all the tiles with no time limit
3. Pass Flash – play with a friend or group and if you can’t find a word you are out.

Boggle Flash has a RRP of £24.99. Not expensive, likely to entertain for years and also a good educational tool.

1 comment:

  1. It took my kids about 20 mins to get tired of it.
    Their complaints:
    It scores words that are not real words.
    It does not acknowledge some real words.
    It spells in USA English.

    So I tried it. Same problems.
    I takes less than 20 games for all 3 of the above complaints to show up.
    Which is enough to spoil the addiction.
    I got frustrated within 20 mins as well.

    A waste of money really, as the kids cannot learn while playing if they get frustrated by the toy's dictionary being suspect.

    ReplyDelete