Dutch Savoury Pancake
Recipe makes 1large pancake for up to 4 people
175 g plain flour, (All purpose) sifted
1 teaspoon oil
For the filling
1 tablespoon oil
2 tbsp (1 oz) 25 g butter
1 small onion
4 oz (110 g) mushrooms
70g cubetti di pancetta - omit for a vegetarian option
4 oz (110 g) Edam or Gouda cheese - Edam is the vegetarian option
1 small red peppers
salt and black pepper
sprinkle of chives
1. Beat the flour, eggs and oil together. Then beat in enough water to make a batter the consistency of single cream.
2. When smooth, put it to one side - in the fridge if you like - for up to 2 hours.
3. Finely chop the small onion and red pepper, slice the mushrooms and chop up the cheese.
4. Take a large frying pan, 10-12 inches (25-30 cm) in diameter, and heat the oil and the butter until the butter stops sizzling.
5. Add the onion, red pepper and pancetta and stir until the vegetables begin to soften and the onion becomes translucent.
6. Light the grill as you will need it well heated. Give the batter a stir, then pour it into the frying pan with the vegetables. Add the sliced mushrooms, the cheese and the chives ensuring you season generously. Press the cheese and vegetables into the pancake mixture.
7. Cook over a very gentle heat for 4-5 minutes. Put the frying pan under the hot grill for about a minute, until the top becomes golden brown and just a little crusty.
8. Serve it straight from the pan and cut into wedges. It is quite thick - at least half an inch.