CHUNKY BEEF CHILLI WITH CREAMY CHEESE SALSA
Preparation time: 25 minutes
Cooking time: 1 hour 30 minutes
For the chilli
2 tbsp vegetable oil
675g/11/2lb Irish grass-fed rump steak, cut into 1in/2.5cm cubes
1 large onion, roughly chopped
2 cloves garlic
2 tbsp mild chilli powder
2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
1 tbsp tomato puree
300ml/ ½ pint beef stock or water
1 large red pepper and 1 large green pepper, cored, deseeded and roughly chopped
400g can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
For the chunky potato wedges
3 large baking potatoes
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 tsp paprika
For the cheese salsa
200ml/7fl oz soured cream
125g/4oz Irish Farmhouse cheese, such as Ardrahan, coarsely grated
2 spring onions, trimmed and finely chopped
· Heat the oil in a large saucepan and brown the meat in batches (get a good caramelised colour on the meat - it all adds to the flavour). Transfer to a bowl.
· Add the onion to the saucepan and cook for 2-3 minutes stirring occasionally until beginning to soften. Add the garlic and chilli powder and cook stirring continuously for 1 minute. Add the tomatoes, tomato puree and stock or water. Bring to the boil. Return the meat to the saucepan. Simmer uncovered for 1 hour.
· Twenty five minutes before the end of the chilli cooking time. preheat the oven to 200*C/fan oven 180*C/Gas mark 6. Toss the potatoes with the oil, paprika and season, and spread in a single layer on a shallow baking tin. Roast for 30-35 minutes until crisp and golden.
· Stir the peppers and kidney beans into the chilli and simmer for a further 20 minutes. Season to taste.
· Mix together the soured cream, cheese and spring onions and season to taste. Serve with the salsa and potato wedges and extra garnishes on the side such as lime wedges, chopped coriander and chopped avocado tossed in lime juice.